Monday, December 31, 2012
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I did not keep my new year’s resolutions. I haven’t decided if I’m making any this year, though my prayer group is going to start doing a devotional together. In August, I did start my 1000 Thanks list and have been good at keeping up with that.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No
4. Did anyone close to you die? Grandma Alberta passed away in July. We had a great celebration of her life. Wiconi passed away in September.
5. What places did you visit? We stuck pretty close to home this year. We did drive back to South Dakota for Grandma’s funeral. Otherwise, we went to the Zoo, the water park, the fair.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? I’d really like us to take a family trip to Glacier National Park. We may not live in Montana forever and I’d hate to miss that.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory and why? Going on the Walk to Emmaus.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Starting, and continuing, my 1000 gifts list
9. What was your biggest failure? Not ready to talk about this yet10. Did you suffer any illness or injury? Poor Maggie spent so much time in the hospital suffering through UTIs and ended up having her appendix out the day before her 7th birthday!
11. What was the best thing you bought? Rocky’s light saber – he said it was his best birthday ever!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Maggie & Jessie; Rocky finished his Ed.D!!!!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Not ready to talk about this yet14. Where did most of your money go? Debt, the house, daycare/afterschool care
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Turning 40. Going to a champagne tasting on New Year’s Eve. Rocky's graduation
16. What song will remind you of 2012? Not Home Yet, by Steve Curtis Chapman
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. happier or sadder? About the same.
b. thinner or fatter? About the same
c. richer or poorer? Definitely richer. Rocky is now employed full time and recently got a promotion. We are concentrating on getting out of debt!
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Read my devotional book that Rocky got me for my birthday
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Spend money
20. How did you spend Christmas in 2012? As we always do, in our home. Grammy Alana came to spend the holiday with us again.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012? Not with anyone new
22. What was your favorite TV program? Old favorites keep coming up: Big Bang Theory, Modern Family
23. What did you do for your birthday? We had a Cupcake Wine party at our house – had to do something “big” for the big 4-0
24. What was the best book you read? One Thousand Gifts
25. What did you want and get? A family photo
26. What did you want and not get? A family vacation
27. What was your favorite film? The Avengers was a great fun film!
28. Did you make some new friends? Our church group family expanded and, after the Walk to Emmaus, both Rocky and I are now part of mostly weekly prayer groups.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? If Rocky had found his job earlier in the year, though the timing did work out pretty well.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? Hand-me-down. Some co-workers gave me clothes they were planning to donate, so my wardrobe has expanded!
31. What kept you sane? Wine
32. What celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
33. What political issue stirred you the most? The presidential election!
34. Who do you miss? No one
35. What valuable life lesson did you learn? God’s grace is sufficient
Tuesday, December 25, 2012
Leaving food for the reindeer
Christmas Eve candle light service:
Santa left an after church surprise in our stockings:
Ready for bed (kind of):
Thursday, December 20, 2012
421. 3 gifts from my savior: This wonderful blessed time of Advent/Christmas/his continuing to walk with me; his ongoing love for me and my family
422. Maggie's Christmas letter to Santa, which included a family gift and one for Jessie.
423. Answers at work
424. Watching "The Nightmare Before Christmas" with Maggie
425. Jessie playing Barbies while dressed as Spider-Man
426. Rocky starting my car to warm it up for me -- his continued thoughtfulness
427. A husband who makes me want to be a better wife.
428. Setting new year's resolutions
429. Time to do that last Christmas shopping
430. Being DONE Christmas shopping
431. Getting caught
434. Protection over Maggie at school
435. Jessie singing Jingle Bells
436. Godly friends to pray over us.
437. Time with Rusty in the backyard
438. Cold fresh air to clear my lungs and head
439. Jessie's pretty ponytails
440. Painting Jessie's finger- and toe-nails
441. Trading in shame for the Joy of the Lord
442. Excellent time with Cheryl
443. Free counseling
444. A promotion for Rocky!
445. Lunch with my prayer group
446. Planning time out with Mark & Kristi
447. Looking at a situation in a new light, with optimism.
448. Maggie singing "The Friendly Beasts"
449. Singing along with the great Messiah choruses
450. Jessie getting caught singing and her wild hair
Saturday, December 15, 2012
This year's school Christmas program was just as cute as last year's. Miss Weis does a great job with the kids. Maggie got to be a canary and they all were a living Christmas tree. She had a lot of fun, and did a great job.
Friday, December 14, 2012
Both girls participated in the church Christmas program this year. Jessie did so well as the little lamb, and even wore the hat while walking down the aisle. She is sitting front and center, and even sat there through all the songs.
Maggie is to the far left, singing her little heart out so joyfully! I was right in front, so I could even hear her!
Thursday, December 6, 2012
I can't believe it's Christmas season. This time of year simply speeds by. I've been remiss with keeping up with my list, but my book is ever at my side, reminding me to look for those things to be thankful for. While I am keeping this list, I do have to remind myself to stop and actually thank God for these gifts. I truly have been given much and the opportunity to be able to look for these gifts, these joys, I hope are helping me to drink in this season in a way I haven't been able to before.
384. A husband who still desires me
385. The twinkle in his blue eyes
386. Automatic dishwashers! Magically cleaning my dishes, even when I'm not around
387. A new recipe to try for Thanksgiving
388. 3 gifts of traditions: The big turkey dinner (with enough for leftovers!); putting up the tree the day after & watching Christmas movies; a new tradition for our advent calendar
389. "Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me, Let me be singing when the evening comes." 10,000 Reasons
390. A plan put into place, awaiting more details, but there is a path
391. Putting up the Christmas tree
392. Maggie's Positive Power Award
394. Jessie giving us a "report" on Rusty -- his eyes, ears, nose
395. Jessie singing her ABCs
396. Maggie & Jessie giggling
398. The smell of turkey roasting
399. Watching football with Rocky
400. Watching Super Hero movies with Jessie
401. Visiting Maggie's class with Rusty
402. Maggie's teacher, Mrs. George.
403. Finding little stocking stuffer gifts
404. Prayers answered for a softer heart (for me!)
405. A prayer to remind me from whom I should find my confidence!
406. Breakfast with Maggie
407. Putting up the Christmas tree at work
408. Time to be silly and laugh with my co-workers
409. Prepare ye the way of the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Isaiah 40:3
410. The struggle to make Christmas meaningful (and what does THAT mean?)
411. Maggie reading Christmas books
412. Maggie's Girl Scout Troop - each girl bringing something different to the group!
413. Maggie's Girl Scout Troop leader, Jean
414. The parents of the girls in Maggie's Troop
415. Jessie's ever changing desires, Spider-Man, Cinderella!
417. Listening to VeggieTales Christmas
418. Maggie singing along to the Christmas Cantata song "Fear Not"
419. Maggie & Jessie singing along to the Chipmunks Christmas album
420. Jessie loving the "pretty lights" "Wook, Mama! Peddy lights!"
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Thanksgiving was early this year. So we have an extra week between Thanksgiving and the start of Advent. This actually gave me time to think about an Advent calendar. Pinterest had lots of ideas. Maggie and I picked out one that we could all enjoy: Christmas stories!
Maggie & I went through all our books to see how many Christmas storybooks we have: and we officially have 19. We will have to dig up a few more to be able to get all the way to Christmas. We spent last night wrapping the ones we have and Maggie did a great job wrapping! I'm really hoping we can make this an annual tradition.
Saturday, November 24, 2012
Friday, November 23, 2012
As I'm still working on my 1000 Gifts list, I'm calling yesterday Turkey Day, which is the main player of the day. I made much too much food, as usual. Some friends came over to help us eat it all & Rusty enjoyed the scraps! In honor of Turkey Day, I thought I'd make a special list of the gifts I received yesterday. Thank you, God!
Turkey covered in bacon
Green beans wrapped in bacon (new recipe)
Homemade cranberry sauce
Gravy that turned out!
Mark, Kristi, Eli & Barb sharing the day with us
Jessie playing with Eli
Jessie & Eli getting excited over Rusty
Rocky carving the turkey
Pumpkin cheesecake dessert (thanks Kristi!)
Kristi & her mom helping with clean up
Rocky & Mark watching football
Maggie enjoying sparkling cranberry juice in her tea cup
Maggie telling me Grand Canyon facts
Jessie teaching Eli to be a daredevil
Time with just Rocky
The smell of the turkey cooking
The smell of the carcass being turned into broth
A table set in anticipation
Leftovers for supper
Leftovers to send home with the Osterlunds
Pumpkin cheesecake with cranberry sauce
Maggie being thankful for her school (she's thankful for everything else, but mostly her school)
Jessie attempting to say "Happy Anksgiving!" And "Doble-doble"
Sunday, November 18, 2012
337. A beautiful fall afternoon, nice enough to be outside.
338. The first cold of the season, a good reminder of how healthy I really am.
339. Taking Maggie with me to vote.
340. Teaching Maggie way it is do important to vote, especially as a woman.
341. Voting; my right, my duty.
342. Obama winning, watching the results in real time
343. Watching more women head to the national stage as leaders.
344. A chance, a duty, to pray for those who are so broken hearted over the election.
345. A day at home, just Maggie & me.
346. Watching Harry Potter movies with Maggie
347. Time with Rusty
348. The light scratch, tickle of Rocky's beard
349. A lighthearted bet with Rocky
350. Maple bacon cupcakes
351. Playing in the snow
352. Playing fetch with Rusty
353. A good morning Tweet from Diane
354. A fun evening with Girl Scouts
355. Maggie trying something new: peppermint tea in a beautiful tea set
356. Making beautiful hats
357. Lessons in taking turns
358. A reminder to take a pause at work before reacting
359. Watching birds Flying V-formation
360. Jessie, just being Jessie, climbing into the sink to play
361. Rocky taking Maggie to her choir practice
362. Phone call with Mom
363. Making Christmas plans
364. Putting together our Thanksgiving shopping list
365. Seeing the crossroad and wondering which direction God wants us to go
366. Co-workers who care about me
367. Co-workers I care about
368. Philippians 2:3-5 don't be selfish, don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself. Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.
369. Time with my sisters in Christ in a short Bible study
370. A quiet way to tell my co-workers I am thankful for them
371. Sitting in the car after arriving at my destination to listen to the rest of a song
372. 2 boxes for Operation Christmas Child from Maggie's Girl Scout troop
373. The early morning sun, shining golden on the fields ready for winter
374. The flocks upon flocks of Canadian geese migrating over our house, calling to each other. Hearing them long after I can no long see them
375. Seeing the hawk watch the geese, high on his perch
376. Girls night out!
377. Pastor Tim's corny jokes
378. Thanksgiving hymns
379. Matthew 6:25-33 "don't worry"
380. Maggie and Jessie watching "Arthur Christmas" and saying along "a child's been missed!"
381. Jessie singing "'inder-Ella!"
Saturday, November 10, 2012
And what goes best with a cold, snowy day? Hot Chocolate, of course! I found this recipe for Nesquik copy cat and I like it a lot better! It is so easy, and may become some Christmas gifts, shhhh!
Chocolate Milk mix:
1/3 cup Dutch processed cocoa
2/3 cup white sugar
Pinch of salt
Mix together & store in air tight container. Mix 1-2 tablespoons with hot or cold milk and enjoy! If making cold, use a small amount of hot tap water with mix before adding milk -- this will help dissolve the mix and make it nice & smooth!