Monday, January 2, 2012

Ringing in the New Year

champagne Rocky & I are not party animals and we hadn’t even discussed going out for new year’s eve until our friends Tim & Diane mentioned a wine tasting at Simply Wine. And not just any tasting, but a Champagne tasting!  And not just any sparkling wine tasting, but Dom Perignon and Cristal were included!!  This was not a tasting to pass up.  Fortunately, we were able to get a babysitter [thanks Becca] at kind of the last minute [confirmed her on Wednesday before].  We met up with Tim & Diane, and their friend Yvette at Jake’s for a little “priming” and food.  The food was yummy and we then headed to Simply 2011-12-31_19-14-48_593Wine for the main event.  I forgot to get pictures of the first 2, Piper-Heidsick and Perrier Jouet.  I really liked the Perrier Jouet, it was fairly “soft” (can’t think of a better way to describe the bubbles), not too sweet and not too dry.  The third Champagne was Jacquesson.  I liked it as well – of course, there was not much to not like about any of them (other than the price!)

After the Jacquesson, the Cristal was to be next, but we had to wait for a bottle to be opened, so we were served Dom Perignon.  Yes, that’s right DOM!!! [Rocky has already told me to not get used to it.] By far, my favorite. Now, I’m not a big wine snob nor do I drink a lot of champagne or even sparkling wine.  But EVERYONE has heard of Cristal & Dom Perignon and that is enough for me to be excited about these 2.  The Dom was just about as perfect as a wine I could ever imagine.  The taste was lovely.  It wasn’t too dry, which I actually had expected it to be dry.  It went so well with the champagne cupcakes [which I MUST try to make] and strawberries.

2011-12-31_19-27-45_912  2011-12-31_19-31-48_101

Diane & I toasting with Dom.

  1325385237899

And finally, the Cristal. [check out us gangstas! (Diane & me with Yvette & Christa)]  I was a little worried about dropping the bottle – wine.com has 3 bottles listed ranging from $189 - $500! (Dom is listed as $149, Jacquesson as low as $69, Perrier Jouet for around $50 for non-vintage & Piper-Heidsick at around $35 for non-vintage). 

2011-12-31_19-40-56_670

It was a great way to spend New Year’s Eve, and we were even home & in bed by 10:30!  Here’s to a wonderful new year!

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much Champagne is just right!” Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment