Thursday, March 28, 2013

Holy Week Prayers: Maundy Thursday

 

For the occasion of Maundy Thursday, today our prayers dwell on the last supper shared by Jesus with his friends & followers: "Then Jesus took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks,” he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body, which isgiven for you. Do this in remembrance of me." And he did the samewith the cup after supper, saying, "This cup that is poured out for youis the new covenant in my blood." (Luke 22:19-20, NRSV)

Today, write a grace -- a thanksgiving prayer over a meal -- for the Communion meal. I'll be posting my prayer shortly at Faith and Water.


Bless us, Oh Lord,
and this bounty you have provided
Bless us, Oh Lord,
and the employers who give more than a paycheck
Bless us, Oh Lord,
and the teachers who bring a love of learning
Bless us, Oh Lord,
and the cafeteria workers who provide a lunch
Bless us, Oh Lord,
and the day care who provides more than a watchful eye
Bless us, Oh Lord,
as we feast upon hamburgers and french fries instead of bread and wine
Bless us today, Oh Lord,
and each day you give to us.

_____________________________

Side notes about Maundy Thursday. This is one of my favorite minor holy days. I don't know if it is truly minor or not, but I love the party feel that this service typically has. Even though we know what is about to happen in the next 3 days, this feast was a celebration. It was the Passover! I'm sure the meal took a turn for the disciples when Christ switched the tone on them, but I do believe Christ enjoyed the party as much as the others did. I never really knew what "Maundy" meant until recently. Wikipedia explains it like this:

the first word of the phrase "Mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos" ("A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you"), the statement by Jesus in the Gospel of John 13:34 by which Jesus explained to the Apostles the significance of his action of washing their feet.

I really like that this is a New Commandment to us and a reminder of what Christ said was the greatest commandment to love each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment