Wednesday, March 13, 2013

40 Prayers of Lent, Day 25

At the outset of 1 Corinthians 15, there is a delightful sentence that illustrates the movement and involvement of the good news:
"Now I remind you, brothers and sisters, of the
good news that I proclaimed and you received,
in which you also stand and through which
you continue to be saved." (15:1-2, adapted)
The good news of grace & life is not only proclaimed and received; it moves in and through, it surrounds beneath and among, we stand in it and we live through it. What the gospel does (what God does) is expressed in verbs, but the movement of the gospel/God requires prepositions.
 
 So close to St. Patrick's Day, I can't help but go to the prayer attributed to the saint himself:
 
Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.
 
 Cheating in my prayer writing? Perhaps, but a comforting prayer nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment