Monday, March 4, 2013

40 Prayers of Lent, Day 16

Saturday's prompt: From 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NRSV), "The Lord said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.'"

Oh, how contrary that is to all that we strive after, how countercultural to our daily instincts! We envy the ways in which power begets power. We yearn for favor to pave our way. We pray for our own success to beget further success. Weakness and struggle seem to be stumbling blocks in the way of comfortable living . . . but no. No. Power and comfort and success are neither the goals nor the paths. Grace -- the loving kindness of God -- is sufficient for our living.


Your grace is enough for me. Except when it isn't. Except when I think it isn't.
Let me be the servant today. Let me not seek power.
Let me seek you and seek ways to serve you.
To serve your children.
Your son washed the feet of his disciples.
How can I do that today?
Where is water needed?
Whose feet can I wash?
Who needs me today?

Let me work with that heart today.
Each phone call.
Each emailed message.
Each person who crosses my path.
Give me the heart to serve them.
Let me show You to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment