Sunday, November 14, 2010

I scream you scream we all scream

When I was pregnant with Maggie, Rocky bought me an ice cream maker for my birthday.  I craved ice cream.  More precisely, I craved Malts.  The dry malted powder was impossible to find in Richmond, so I “settled” for homemade ice cream and chocolate malts from Dairy Queen.

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased some half & half and whipping cream with the intention of making some ice cream.  My ice cream maker had a great easy no cook recipe using half & half, whipping cream, sugar and vanilla.  Well the days got away from me and we used up the half & half in our coffee.  I noticed earlier this week that the whipping cream was about to expire so made it my goal to finally MAKE ICE CREAM.

I searched through my cookbooks, but was unable to find my go-to recipe for easy vanilla ice cream.  I found a few cook versions, but I didn’t have all the ingredients.  Then I found what I thought was a no-cook version in my Betty Crocker cookbook.  I only read through the full recipe AFTER cracking the 3 eggs.  Oh well.  Then I found a true no-cook recipe online.  As I have a full quart of whipping cream to utilize, I decided to have a little Ice Cream Throwdown of my own, though I don’t expect Bobby Flay to take on this challenge!

So here are the 2 recipes I’m trying out.  Currently both are “cooling” down in the fridge.

Betty Crocker:

3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/4 t salt
2 cups whipping cream
1 T vanilla

Mix eggs, sugar, milk and salt in 2 qt sauce-pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just to boiling (DO NOT boil).  Refrigerate in chilled bowl 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally until room temperature.  Stir whipping cream and vanilla into mixture.  Follow directions on ice cream maker to freeze.

Allrecipes.com

2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups half & half
3/4 cup white sugar
1 T vanilla

Combine whipping cream and half & half in a large bowl.  Slowly add sugar until blended.  Whisk in vanilla.  Refrigerate at least 3 hours (or as long as 3 days).  Whisk mix to blend and freeze according to manufacture directions.

I think the Betty Crocker recipe will be better simply because eggs make for a much smoother, creamier ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment