Sunday, August 16, 2009

A New Favorite Wine

I really do enjoy all kinds of wine. I learned a few years ago to never say I don't like a particular grape simply because as soon as I do, I discover a bottle of that very grape that I enjoy. Take Chardonnay for example. For years I would say I don't like Chardonnay because the grape was too dry for my tastes. Then I discovered a Chardonnay (Barefoot, actually) that I really like. I found that I DO like Chardonnays that are not aged in oak, but in other ways, like steel.

I have, however, always enjoyed a good "deck" or "picnic" wine. Typically they are on the sweet side, but more fruity than sugary; light; and go with just about anything you want to eat. While in Viriginia, I discovered Chateau Morrisette Winery and their deck wine "Our Dog Blue" (or as we called it "Blue Dog"). It was the wine I told Rocky we had to have available after Maggie was born for my first wine in 9 months. It was the one wine I would choose over and over again, and would choose if I could only have one wine for the rest of my life. When I miss Virginia, it is one of the things I miss the most -- we cannot get it here as it simply costs more to ship the wine than it is actually worth.

Now, having said all of that, I do believe I have found a new favorite: Grooner. On my first trip to City Vineyard, I asked for a "deck" wine and it was the first recommendation. It is similar to a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. It's from Gruner Veltliner (Groo-ner Velt-leener) and the #1 white wine grape in Austria. It's fruity (almost a mix of grapefruit and apple) and crisp. Slightly dry, but easy to drink. And a twist top, for convenience! I really have found my new "must" have wine and will try to always have a bottle on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment