Saturday, February 25, 2012

My First Shiraz


Way back in my single days, I worked for United Airlines. The best part was, of course, the travel benefits. At the time you paid a small fee to travel anywhere United went. The majority of my travels were to visit family (I was pretty deep in debt), but I did take a few fun trips and one overseas trip to visit my friend Stan who was studying law in Sydney, Australia in the year 2000.  I spent 8 fun filled days, soaking up the southern hemisphere sun. I spent a lot of time sight seeing, but one day Stan and I took a wine tasting trip to Hunter Valley. I don't remember much of where we went but one of the wineries was Rosemount Estates where I tasted my first Shiraz. I loved the buttery texture, the slightly peppery taste. I decided this was the one bottle for me to take home with me -- I only had 1 carry on and barely room for my clothes much less a bottle of wine. I also worried about the bottle breaking but figured one bottle would be fine.  Upon my return to the States I guarded to bottle selfishly, waiting for the right time to open it. I finally opened it later that summer at my uncle's home at a Labor Day bbq. We all really enjoyed it.  It couldn't have been long after that I discovered it sold in grocery stores! I don't remember when that was, but I do still like to pick up a bottle from time to time. I found it at Target for $6.99 this last time. It's been awhile since I've had the Shiraz. I also enjoy their red blends. Enjoying that Shiraz reminded me of my trip and made me long for a trip back. Someday ...

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment