Friday, May 29, 2009

Ultrasound

Today, we had the ultrasound for dating purposes. The scan was scheduled for 7:30 am so Maggie was able to go along. She was not very impressed, but was excited to "Go to Mommy's work and see the Doc-tore. The doc-tore make Mommy feel all better."

The entire scan took about 20 minutes and I couldn't tell you what I saw, though the tech pointed out my uterus and ovaries. She pointed out the yolk sac and said "I think that's the baby" which was also the last thing she said until it was over. I didn't say anything as I didn't want to interrupt her and kind of expected her to say SOMETHING. When she was done, she asked when my appointment with Dr. McCracken was and told me I could go. I was a bit worried -- all I could think of was something was wrong, but surely they wouldn't make us wait 2 weeks if something was wrong, right??

I debated for a few hours at work, but ended up calling Nurse Shelly just to see what the process was, would someone call us? Or would it really be 2 weeks for us to find out anything? She was a bit surprised that the tech didn't even tell us she saw a heartbeat, but also mentioned that the baby's size is about 10 days behind what we expected. She guessed the due date would be mid-January, but said Dr. McCracken would view the scans early next week and actually set the due date (though I rather wish they would get rid of "due dates" and make it a due week or even 2 weeks). Knowing there is a heartbeat makes all the difference to me at this point and allows me a comfort level to allow this pregnancy to become "common knowledge."

We did not get a photo of the baby (though from what I've seen on-line, it rather looks like a polywog), but did find out Billings Clinic will do either a print out or a CD of the ultrasound, so we do have that to look forward to for the future ultrasounds -- as I know there will be at least 2 more. One in 6-7 weeks for the genetic testing and one around 18-20 weeks for measurements and possible finding out the gender. That is Rocky's decision this time around, but I think he is leaning towards not finding out again. It was really fun to hear "It's a girl!" when Maggie was born and maybe this time around Rocky could be the one to make the initial announcement.

Maggie is still insisting she would rather have a puppy or a kitty "for Otis." As we will be getting a fence (starting to go in next week -- WOOT!), the puppy will probably follow soon after.

1 comment:

  1. I totally missed your announcement post. Congrats!!!!! I am so happy for you guys. What a total blessing and I am so glad to hear that things are going well.

    ReplyDelete