Friday, June 1, 2012

A Letter to My Jessie on the Eve of Her 2nd Birthday

My dear sweet Jessie, can it truly be 2 years?  You were my much anticipated baby.  I prayed for you long before I knew I wanted you.  You are such a cautiously adventurous child!  You make me laugh as you climb over the couch, on top of the toilet, on top of the play kitchen, yet look for reassurance that Mommy or Daddy will be there to help you down the stairs.  You have always wanted to be on the go, hitting all those milestones earlier than I would have liked, all the while watching your big Sissy, wanting to be like her.  I am so pleased that you have Maggie to look up to.  She will not steer you wrong!

The last 2 years feel like a blur.  You have gone from teeny baby wanting to nurse all the time to long, lean toddler wanting to nurse all the time.  I love to hear your little voice delightfully yell "Mommy" when I come home from work.  I love to hear your laugh, loud and boisterous.  I love that your favorite game is for us to hide under the blanket and wait for Daddy to scare us as you scream delightfully as the blanket flies off.  I love to watch you play with your babies, shushing them and patting their backs to get them to go to sleep.  I love that all scary animals are "Yi-s", cats are "Ma-ows", horses are "Neighs."  I love when you jabber at me in your own language and look expectedly at me as I'm supposed to know exactly what you said and how to respond.  Your beautiful hazel eyes show so much excitement for each day.

Yet, even as you are adventerous, you love your routine and are not pleased when I break from it, especially when it comes to nursing.  I know our time there is fleeting.  I do enjoy snuggling with you [for the most part, except when you think it's time to play].  You give such wonderful hugs and kisses.

I so look forward to watching you grow up and watching you become the girl and woman God has meant  you to be.  I have no plans for you, other than to teach you what I can, help you when I should, and be the mother God has chosen me to be. 

Happy birthday, Jessie.

Colossians 1:9-12 For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you & asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualifies you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.

No comments:

Post a Comment