Monday, March 19, 2012

Reading Again, for the First Time

The more I read the Bible, the more I am finding things that I either didn’t read before, didn’t understand, or are coming to a new understanding as I get older [Rocky is wondering if I’m starting to go through a mid-life crisis – not sure if that’s a bad thing if it takes me deeper in to the Bible].  Last week, in my psalms study, I read Psalm 11 and one phrase suddenly brought me comfort, where before it was frightening, making God seem far far away.

Psalm 11:4: The Lord is in his holy temple …

In the past, I’m sure I took this simple sentence at face value.  God is somewhere, far way, in a temple.  I will need permission, a pass, a background screen, walk through a metal detector to get to him; He is inaccessible because he is in a temple.

Last week, however, I read the entire psalm, which is quite short, and re-saw what David was praying about.  David was praying about refuge from the wicked and wondering why the wicked were allowed to get away with, well, being wicked.  It’s been the theme of the past few psalms.  The wicked are given a free pass, the wicked are chasing me and yet the Lord does nothing.  But wait, God is present, he IS in his holy temple and is on this throne.  He is observing: which feels to me like he is not just watching us like some cosmic reality TV show, he is taking notes, he knows what is happening and will examine and provide justice.  HIS justice, not mine, not someone else’s, not society’s, but HIS.  I think that’s the tough part. We, and by “we” I mean “I”, want human justice.  We think justice is only in this life, but there’s more to it.  God is the ultimate judge and I need to remember that the Lord IS in his holy temple, he IS on his throne, and he WILL impart HIS justice.

vs. 7 For the Lord is righteous,
he loves justice;
the upright will see his face

No comments:

Post a Comment