Thursday, April 9, 2015

#Bod4God The 5K

As I was trying to decide between walking or running (aka jogging aka moving slightly faster than walking) the 5K celebration, Cris (aka my Body & Soul Boot Camp instructor aka the one who talked me into the study) shared this verse:


Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially sin that so easily trips us up. And let us RUN WITH ENDURANCE the race that GOD has set before us.

It's not often you get a clear directive from the Lord. This was so abundantly clear that I knew at that moment I would need to at least TRY to run. To which God replied:


"'If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.” Mark 9:23
Was I seriously having a conversation with God through His Word? Yes I was. I did a search on Pinterest for Biblical inspiration and was not let down, as proven by my previous  post. 13 different references. If I've learned nothing else in the past 2 years, when God asks something of you, the best thing to do is say Yes (and it's okay to do so begrudgingly, though it is better to get into the spirit of it). I think it helped that I didn't have a lot of time to think about what God was asking of me. I knew a 5k is approximately equal to 3.1 miles, though my concept of space isn't the greatest. But I didn't have time to "train" for this event. It was going to happen next week and I was going to run (aka jog aka move slightly faster than a walk).

So how did it go? Rocky, Maggie & Jessie came to cheer me on and even followed me, taking photos & videos along the way. I was the only one with a cheering section! I spent some time praying, thanking Jesus for running along side me and asking him to block the wind. I missed a couple of turns and the couple behind me was kind enough to get my attention to bring me back on track [I'm sure there's a great metaphor there]. I did end up walking with them for a couple of blocks, but we all ran the last stretch back to the church. And I finished, I crossed the finish line. As I told Maggie, it wasn't fun, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. I'm still no runner and I probably won't seek out those activities, but I now know I can do it. It's no longer a mountain in my way. I am able because He is able.
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith.
Thank you Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment