Wednesday, January 21, 2015

#Bod4God Why?

A weight-loss competition thru church? I've heard about programs like this but never participated. I've never been a big dieter and while I've always *wanted* to lose weight, I've never actually wanted to put forth the necessary effort or give up all delicious things. I kept hoping for a quick fix -- I mean eventually ONE of those diet pills has to work, right? When we moved to Brookings, I finally ran out of excuses to go to the gym (cheap rates, classes included and a 5 minute walk from my office? BOOM each excuse gone). I started going to classes like spin, Women With Weights (kind of a circuit training) and my new favorite Body & Soul 6 am bootcamp. I had hoped that just working out would allow me to continue to enjoy all those yummy foods. My 40+ year old body disagreed. Then my bootcamp instructor mentioned a Bible study she was leading at the church we have been attending. As I've been seeking a community here and seeking the right motivation to actually lose weight I decided to sign up.

The study is called Bod4God and uses Scripture to show you {ME} how to honor God and commit this earthy body to his glory. The kick off included Pastor Steve Reynolds speaking about his experience and showing us just a few of the many places God talks to us about our body and food. The very first story that involved people (Adam & Eve) included temptation with FOOD. Satan understands the power food can have over us and has used it from the start. He has even convinced us that gluttony isn't *really* a sin. How many times do you hear about a prayer request to eat less or drink more water or to find time to exercise more? How many church events revolve around food? We eat as a part of fellowship; we gather around the table to enjoy each other's company and food. And doesn't Jesus ask us to remember him with wine and bread (oh, if he only would have included cheese!!!)?

So what is it I hope to get out of this? What are my goals and more importantly, what is my motivation? It has to be more than just getting my pants to fit or to live long enough to see my grandchildren or even to be healthier. Because while those are excellent reasons, it hasn't been enough in the past and I know myself well enough to know it won't be enough in the future. I need to find the desire, the need, the motivation that will last and will be enough to sacrifice the good foods that God has given us to enjoy -- just in moderation! 

Follow me here and on Twitter (#Bod4God) to see if I can find this motivation.

Colossians 1:16 for by him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment