Sunday, October 16, 2011

Psalm 46:10

Be still and know that He is God.

This weekend, I had the opportunity to spend Friday evening and Saturday with some wonderful women from my church in a sea side themed retreat.  We decorated a room in the Sunday School area to look like a retreat, with beach gear, ocean photos & sounds.  I lead the music worship team and enjoyed singing some beautiful songs of praise with these talented women.  I also loved getting to spend some additional time with the leader of the weekend and get to know her better.  Diane & I have had some time this past summer to spend more time together and it has been fun to see this other side of her.  There was a wonderful turn out of women of all ages within the church and I hope we find the time to do this again (perhaps in a true retreat format).

By using things from the beach, we studied Sarai & Hagar, which is one of my favorite stories in the Bible.  I love Sarai.  She is a strong woman, who, even though she is revered for being a “faithful wife”, “obedient to Abram”, she was not afraid to take matters into her own hands.  She obviously tried to force God’s hand and paid for that (as did Hagar) [and I can pinpoint times in my own life where I have done the same].  I also learned something new about Peter [whom I’ve never really liked, with all his “rules” for women].  In his letter “1 Peter”, he writes about Sarah:

“For instance, Sarah obeyed her husband, Abraham, and called him her master.  You are her daughters when you do what is right without fear of what your husbands might do.” 1 Peter 3:6

Isn’t that interesting? WITHOUT FEAR.  I do not think I have ever heard that verse.  I have to admit I rolled my eyes when I realized that this retreat was going to use Peter to prove a point about Sarah – really, Peter? the woman-hater? [maybe hate is a strong word, but I have learned that he was not fond of the “fairer sex.”  I thought it was going to be more about the “good & faithful wife” [which, really, was she? Sending her servant to Abram to try to “help” God? Laughing at God?]  But the other thing that struck me is that whenever I’ve heard people either preaching or complaining about the Bible stating that women should “submit” to their husbands, they leave out this part, the part about doing what is right WITHOUT FEAR.  To me, that means that if I am to submit to my husband, I should not fear him.

We talked about doubts, friendship and spending time being still and recognizing when God is speaking to us.  It is so hard to find that quiet time necessary to hear God and I have, lately, been wondering about His voice as I haven’t heard him.  I know it is me, that I haven’t taken the time to listen for him.  I know if I can find some time in my day, each day, I will be able to hear his voice and feel his presence.

Be still and know that He is God. Be still and know that He is holy.  Be still, oh, restless soul of mine. Bow before the Prince of Peace. Let the noise & clamor cease.   Be still and know that He is God.  Be still and know that He is faithful.  Consider all that he has done, Stand in awe and be amazed and know that He will never change.  Be Still.  Be Speechless.  Be still and know that He is God.  Be still and know He is our Father.  Come rest your head upon his breast.  Listen to the rhythm of his unfailing hear of love. Beating for his little ones, calling each of us to come.  Be still. – Stephen Curtis Chapman.

No comments:

Post a Comment