Monday, February 29, 2016

Wild Generosity

Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and you that have no money -- come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. (Isaiah 55:1)

Is there anyone among you who, if a child asks for bread, will give a stone? Or if the child asks for fish, will give a snake? (Matthew 7:9)

Two messages to cut me to the core
Of selfishness
When have I chosen the easy route of looking away
When have I chosen to wonder what's in it for me
Before I give
My time
My talents
My tithe

When have You been before me
A stranger, reaching out a hand for a bit of my tithe
A friend, asking for a bit of my talent
A child, wanting just a bit of time

Yet I selfishly turned away
What's in it for me

Selfishly, I cling to the world
I cling to my stuff
I cling to that which doesn't really matter
Wanting more for me

Remind me that there is plenty for all
There is more where that comes from
You will provide all that I need.
How often you have proved it over and over and over
Yet still I want more
More proof

When have You been before me asking me for something?
Let me see You and know
Let me hear You and give
Freely to whomever asks
Let me be wildly generous

No comments:

Post a Comment