Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Where did my baby go?

This morning, we had orientation for preschool. My baby will be three years old the end of this month. We could have put off preschool for another year as she is 2 weeks behind the cut off date for Kindergarten and will now attend preschool for 3 years. Not that this is a bad thing. She already goes to daycare every day and has a very structured environment there. She will get to play a lot and she will get to work on her fine motor skills. I’m hoping this will push her to become potty trained as well. She already knows 2 kids as they are coming from her daycare. But even as we seem to push her to be a “big girl,” I try to remember the little baby she used to be.

It is sometimes hard to remember that this little tow-haired girl who loves to laugh and jump and sing used to be a bald little thing that captivated her father and I long before she could even smile at us. Her tiny hands that used to wrap around my finger are now holding paint brushes and books. Her little feet that used to seem to be there just for decoration are now being shoved into boots and little mary janes and are running everywhere! Her blue eyes that used to stare at me blankly now look at me in anticipation of what we may do or where we may go next.

I know this is not the last time I will look at her and wonder where my baby went. When she starts Kindergarten. When she rides her first bike. When she stops wanted to cuddle with me. When she turns into that surly teenager.

For now, I will try to savor the snuggles, the kisses, the “I lovechyou, Mommy“s. I will try remember that reading “Green Eggs & Ham” for the 5th time in a row is a good thing. I will try to pay attention when she starts singing and will sing a long (if she’ll let me). She is my big girl and growing up much too quickly. But she will always be my baby as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment