Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Holy Week Prayers: Day 37

Today I invite you to pray with Jesus in the garden:
"They went to a place called Gethsemane; and Jesus said
to his disciples, 'Sit here while I pray.' He took with him
Peter and James and John, and began to be distressed
and agitated. And he said to them, 'I am deeply grieved,
even to death; remain here & keep awake.'" (Mark 14:32-34)
We are greatly familiar with our own griefs and stresses; what might Jesus' grief and distress have been that night? Can you pray with Jesus through his agony?
 
I find it so hard to pray in the midst of trouble, when I'm knee deep in it. My soul prays, but my brain can't. And I don't know what's coming next. You did. You knew what to expect. You knew how long it would last. You knew exactly what your body would have to endure. You knew exactly how taxing it would be. Yet you went. You cried out to your Father, but you still went. I would have been as dumbfounded as your closest companions, wanting you to fight against it, wanting you to run away. But you knew better. And were still scared. Was there comfort in your friends? Was there comfort in your foreknowledge? Would I been able to provide anything other than my presence? Would that have been enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment